Monday, September 9, 2013

I love to paint

I truly do. But sometimes, ok often I doubt my abilities. I have trouble coming up with ideas. Or when I have an idea I just can't seem to translate it the way I want to onto a canvas. This is what causes my artist block. Really It's just that I am afraid to try some things.

Last week I threw caution to the wind and put a 16x20" canvas on the easel and started painting. It was scary! I knew what I wanted to create, what colors I wanted to use, how I wanted it to look. The hard part was actually achieving those things. I got to a certain point and needed it to dry before continuing. So I put it aside and *gasp* I put another big canvas on the easel! Started painting and painting and painting and I didn't want to stop. One thing was that I was afraid I'd lose my nerve and not go back to them. But I did. And I got to a point with the first one that I wasn't sure if it was quite finished. I left for the weekend to visit my father and obsessed about it the entire weekend.

Monday evening after returning from work, my husband says "oh yeah, I forgot to tell you..." He loved the painting! He happened to be near my studio and saw it on the easel. Let me tell you! He has never offered an opinion on any of my pieces before! And for him to volunteer this, and the fact that he liked it! I was so thrilled.

Anyway. I found a quote today and it made so much sense I thought I'd share it.

No comments:

Post a Comment